By Chris Olson
Further readingPublic Blockchains and Distributed Ledgers Implementation of a Daml Solution for Optimizing Clinical Trials Unbounded tech stacks with Daml Quantum Daml: Amazon QLDB goes GA Daml Developer Monthly - September 2021
Fintech Week Recap from the Daml Developer Community Team
By Chris Olson. Nov 18, 2021
Last week, Digital Asset had an action-packed agenda presenting at Hong Kong Fintech Week. From the perspective of the developer community, we should all be excited to see that Daml is paving the way for large-scale adoption of smart contract technology in the enterprise space.
Over the last few days, we broke the news about Goldman Sachs adopting Daml to drive their tokenization efforts. You can read more about it here.
We presented two Daml projects from our Daml developer community:
The first, by Chainworks, introduces a mobile number portability solution, and the second, by Gaurav Bansal, shows his Daml based trade-financing solution. This is the first time we showcased community-built projects on such a large scale and at such a high profile event, so a big shoutout is due to Gaurav and the Chainworks team for recording their demos and demonstrating their awesome Daml knowledge.
We also presented a Daml masterclass on tokenization. If you are new to Daml, get started today by checking out this great video and learn about how to tokenize assets with Daml!
At Fintech week, we stole the show on three separate occasions:
- Our CEO and Co-Founder, Yuval Rooz, gave a fireside chat with Mathew McDermott, Managing Director, Goldman Sachs, on "The Rise of Tokenized Assets".
- Jon Rout, our Business Development Director - APAC, spoke on a panel with subject matter experts from Goldman Sachs and HKEX (Hong Kong Exchange) on "Blockchain & Capital Markets: Investing, Exchanges & Assets".
- Karen Qian, Associate Business Director - APAC, spoke on a panel with BIS Innovation Hub, HKMA, Allinfra, and Standard Chartered about Project Genesis (read more).
Project Genesis (green bond application)
The Hong Kong Center of the Innovation Hub of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) announced a joint project to build a prototype digital infrastructure that can enable green investments and help issuers and governments meet environmental and sustainability goals. These two entities have joined forces with the technology industry via Project Genesis to build this prototype. Project Genesis will explore the tokenization of green bonds to enable investments in small denominations, combined with real-time tracking of environmental outputs. The results of the tests and prototypes will be published in the fourth quarter of 2021.
Last but not least, we had a partner webinar and Green Bond Tokenization solution overview with industry partners GFT, Octopus, and Allinfra. For those who don't know, Octopus is the equivalent of Opal in NSW (New South Wales, Australia), or similar to the UK's oyster card. It is an electronic stored-value card that streamlines payments. We are excited to explore more solutions of blockchain tokenization with them.
(The above replays of the talks will be released by the organizer at the end of November)
So, to recap:
- Goldman Sachs is adopting Daml for asset tokenization efforts.
- Chainworks is adopting Daml to present a mobile number portability solution in India to the Telecom.
- Individual developers like Gaurav are picking up Daml and creating a trade financing solution.
- The Hong Kong Monetary Authority is building a prototype digital infrastructure for green investments with Daml.
- We already have stable and effective use cases of Daml in capital markets such as with the Hong Kong Exchange, Australia Securities Exchange, and Broadridge.
- We have Octopus, the major stored-value facility exploring green bond tokenization with Daml.
These are exciting times for Daml developers! We're beginning to see the snowballing effects of Daml adoption by leading institutions. With that in mind, I'm hoping everyone is excited as I am. Let's participate and let's help encourage each other in this Daml journey.
Have a great week everyone, and don't stop Daml'ing!